Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default Wiring and plumbing a second kitchen

Rule number one in general for kitchens... There are NEVER enough outlets
and outlets get easily overloaded.

So the idea is a separate 20 amp outlet on its own 20 amp breaker for each
appliance. And MANY counter top outlets with each outlet on its own 20 amp
breaker.

In theory a kitchen could have say 15 separate outlets each on its own 20
amp breaker.

Go to the store and look at all the kitchen appliances which can be
purchased. Many have heating elements which use a lot of amperage. And you
plug two of these into one outlet or one of these and a microwave into same
outlet and the breaker might trip.

Then lets put the microwave over here... Next week, let's move the microwave
over there next to the deep fryer... Next week something else..

Then also counter top appliances which don't use much amperage, but have
many in same area. Like can opener, radio, clock, blender, etc. And these
can be located anywhere and moved around. So for that reason, I think it is
best that each counter top outlet be a fourplex (4 outlets).

So think about this stuff in advance, then get a breaker panel which will
have enought slots for all those breakers. I have a 40 slot breaker panel
myself. (Rule number two is there is never enough slots available in a
breaker panel.)