Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default TSP - yes or no ???

On 7 Jul 2006 21:01:45 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
On 7 Jul 2006 08:36:34 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Why do some paint manufacturers recommend washing wood with TSP, and
others explicitly say DO NOT use TSP?

Some states (in the US) prohibit the sale of TSP due to environmental
concerns. TSP is a very strong detergent and it is particularly
effective in washing walls and outdoor things (furniture, siding,
decks, etc.). in general wood should not be "washed" with a
water-based detergent. It makes the fibers swell, and then when it
dries you have a rough surface that needs sanding.

UMM, don't you think the OP is talking about
washing painted surfaces?

Shouldn't unpainted wood be washed before painting? How else are you
going to remove the dust and dirt?

Every paint can label I've read says you should wash the wood to remove
dirt and dust.

Some say even clean new wood must be washed to remove mill glaze.

But what to use? I've heard TSP will interfere with paint adhesion if
not thoroughly rinsed off. But if the wood absorbs the TSP solution,
how can you thoroughly rinse it off?

In such a case, would it be best to thoroughly soak the wood first with
clear water, and only then apply the TSP (or other detergent solution)?

Are there any chemical rinses which could be used AFTER washing to help
rinse away or neutralize any remaining detergent, so it doesn't
interfere with paint adhesion? What about oxalic acid for example?

Many I'm ruled by my parinoia's

I don't like washing wood, with water, but cleaning wood with items
like vacuuming and tack clothes. Water can cause the grains to lift
up uneven, and give the wood a 'bumpy' feeling. Also, not liking to
use TSP, I have a hard time thinking I could remove 100% of TSP used
on bare wood.

So I try to sand, vacuum, and tack cloth where needed.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com