Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Vivek.M Vivek.M is offline

Default Computer grounding via a UPS not proper - what could be the problem.

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:37:41 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
"Vivek.M" wrote:
My computer gives me a shock; Some details:
Supply: 250 V/50 Hz.

Surely you mean 230V ?

Yes indeed! Terribly sorry ( my analog-multimeter has a 250V slot and
i .. well auto-suggestion! ) The input voltage is fine 235 V.

How do i check to see if the battery is dead?

Do you have a voltmeter ? Check its voltage during the discharge cycle.

I'll do that. I haven't opened it up as yet.

Are you sure you're not simply getting 'static electricity shocks' when touching
the PC ? Do you have carpets with synthetic fibre for example ? Do you tend to
wear clothes with a high synthic fibre content ? These are all things that wil
charge *you* up and the PC wil simply *discharge* you when you touch it.

It's definetly not static; bare floor and absolutely no carpeting or
synthetic fibre. My parents and sister have been getting jolted as
well so it's definitely not a case of clothing. Plus as you said 20V
is a little high and that's off the case. Plus static jolts feel
different.

Any idea where the problem could lie - surely it's in the UPS? Any
idea what could have blown?