Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default OT wheelie bin pollution rant

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

[1] Little scrote locally stole a dozen of 'em to make a ramp for his
bicycle.

That shows enterprise! But if you know who took it why not take it back?

Because I only round who'd nicked it some time after the event, by which
time not only had all the boxes departed but so had the family
responsible.

Right ... so he did you a favour :-)

I could get a new box by ringing the council, but since we sort into
stacking bins under the meter cupboard and the council's recycling boxen
don't fit in the hole it'd be a silly thing to do.

Everything goes in the red box - glass, paper, card, tins, foil,
clothes. Too small, of course, but at least they don't get upset and
refuse to take overspill as long as it's neat and sorted.

We can't put glass anywhere and not foil either, they have no means of
sorting it.

What they don't yet take is plastic - milk bottles and pop bottles etc.

That's a shame. I pick up pop bottles in the street and put them in our bin,
we don't use them. Same with cans.

pile up till I happen to be going past the dump. Recycling chap reckons
the investment in equipment to collect it all from the doorstep wouldn't
be worth it - from which I deduce that a) Scrap plastic has a low value
and b) it's lightweight, so doesn't contribute much to their recycling
targets which are set by weight.

I reckon that different companies have different methods and even targets.
Our recyclable stuff is sorted (used to be by hand, might still be) at a
cetnral point, foil is too small to pick up in thick gloves. We don't have
much but it irks to put it in landfill.

Clothes aren't allowed in our green bin any more, the local tip has a
special place for them - so has Waitrose's car park come to think of it. Not
that we ever have any to discard, we wear them until they fall off, after
many repairs. There are also bins for shoes, pc parts, ink cartridges, paint
tins, oh, all kinds of things. It's a fascinating subject, rubbish!

Mary