Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King Guy King is offline

Default OT wheelie bin pollution rant

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

[1] Little scrote locally stole a dozen of 'em to make a ramp for his
bicycle.

That shows enterprise! But if you know who took it why not take it back?

Because I only round who'd nicked it some time after the event, by which
time not only had all the boxes departed but so had the family
responsible.

I could get a new box by ringing the council, but since we sort into
stacking bins under the meter cupboard and the council's recycling boxen
don't fit in the hole it'd be a silly thing to do.

We have a grey bin for non-recyclable stuff and a red box for recycling.
There's also a green bin for garden waste but I've only used it once and
that was last autumn when the leaves were drifing across the public path
so deeply that pushchairs couldn't pass. There were too many for my
compost heap. One of these days I might ask 'em to take it away.

Everything goes in the red box - glass, paper, card, tins, foil,
clothes. Too small, of course, but at least they don't get upset and
refuse to take overspill as long as it's neat and sorted.

What they don't yet take is plastic - milk bottles and pop bottles etc.
pile up till I happen to be going past the dump. Recycling chap reckons
the investment in equipment to collect it all from the doorstep wouldn't
be worth it - from which I deduce that a) Scrap plastic has a low value
and b) it's lightweight, so doesn't contribute much to their recycling
targets which are set by weight.

--
Skipweasel