Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Cornish Ian Cornish is offline

Default Fuel problem with 1989/E reg Vauxhall astra cabriolet 1.3

bluesofty wrote:
I have recently bought an astra cabriolet to learn about mechanics on.
First problem i have seen is that it seems to be consuming more fuel
than Esso!! I did 100 miles which seemed to cost me well over £30!? It
also broke down the other day and wouldn't start back up again for a
while? Also, my friend the other day said she thought she could smell
fuel? Now when i leave the car on tick over, it doesnt take along for
it to cough and splutter before conking out? Hence it's driveway bound
at the moment?

Thought i might check the carburettor but am not too
experienced....however i do want to learn!? This car used to have a 1.6
engine but has been changed to 1.3 (supposedly to save on fuel?) if
anyone could point me in the right direction or has had similar
experiences i would be really grateful.

Go to your local motor parts store, and buy the Haynes manual for this
make/model of car.
That will help you understand it a lot more.

Also, become very friendly with the folks at the motor parts store -
they may have good advice etc for you.