Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Kitchen counter height

this is a wonderful opportunity to make your new home handicap
accessible which gives it added value. when you build your new home on
the ground so a wheelchair can roll out of the van inside the garage
and right into the kitchen and right into the shower stall with no
steps or barriers to travel or inaccessible sinks or cupboards, you've
got a home that will appeal to your height and is full of wonderful
extra conveniences to a handicapped user. and the appliance and hvac
repairmen love this too, with furnaces and appliances inside the
dwelling unit at grade level.

Robert Gammon wrote:
36 inches is the standard height, although in some areas 42 inch high
counters are being installed.

The issue is that 36 inches is designed for the 'standard' American
male/female at 5 feet 8 to 5 feet 10 inches of height. My wife and I
are under 5 feet 6, she is 5 feet 2. 36 inch counters are simply TOO
high for our comfort.

We want to build a new house and I am looking for resources that can get
us 32 inch counter height, as that will be MUCH more comfortable for us

I don't care if this is a non-standard customization, I don't intend to
EVER sell this house.