Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Tool Advice for Beginner

On 6 Jul 2006 13:03:21 -0700, wrote:

Here are my possible options I thought of:
1. Use a hand saw to make the hole and use my dremel router to make
the lip (would take 8 passes per side)

That'd be fine, just putzy.

2. Buy some "single use tools" (cheap tools from somewhere like harbor
freight) to do this job. Maybe an edge router and a jigsaw. I would
also have to buy a 1" straight bit from somewhere else.

A "single use" jigsaw won't do the job even once, unless you happen to
be extremely gifted.

3. Buy a RotoZip and attachments.

Only if you're going to be hanging drywall.

4. Buy some low-mid level tools (like Ryobi). Maybe I don't need a
plunge router.

That's all you're doing? Here's my $.02- for about $160, you can get
a Porter-Cable 690 series router with a D-handle, plunge or fixed
base- $20 will get you a pattern making bit (straight bit with a
bearing on the top of the bit (the side that goes into the collet))
for that router- it comes with 1/2" and 1/4" collets, so you can get a
bit with either size shank. The other $20 will get you a set of (or
one very good) wood chisels.

The router will cut right through the particle board, no problem. You
can freehand it, or clamp a board to it to use as a fence. Cut your
hole out with that, then use the chisel to square off the round inside
corners. Use the same bit in the router, set to the depth you need,
and rout your rabbet out. Easy as can be, you're at your $200 tool
limit, and you have a good quality tool that will do the job, last a
long time, and is really versatile. If you like using it and want to
do some more messing around, google "The Router Workshop", and you'll
find plenty of ideas.

I would like to hear from some experienced people. Maybe you have
other ways to accomplish this or know of some decent quality tools that
are inexpensive.

Nick