Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default OT wheelie bin pollution rant

"somebody" wrote in message

Round here, the bin men won't collect anything that looks anything other
than a perfect black bag of rubbish. "Cor, that one is leaning over
guv'nor, looks like it could be heavy". I jest, they don't actually say
anything, they just leave it.

For example, a quarter bag of charcoal out of the bbq, "well that's
commercial/industrial". They just leave it, causing me a trip to the tip
(12 mile round trip for one bloody quarter bag of soggy charcoal).

You're throwing out charcoal?

I'd have taken it off your hands!

During recycling collections "all cardboard/paper" must be packed flat. So
if you have a cardboard box which seems suitable for containing all the
other cardboard you put in it, expect to keep the box.

Ours doesn't.

BTW this is the same council that is currently considering whether to go
to bi-monthly collections (yes, that's once a fortnight) or as an
alternative to charge the householder per bag collected.

Our recycling bin is collected monthly, it works.

Oh, and yes, this is one of the few councils who won't accept domestic
asbestos at their own tip. Round here you have to pay 440+vat per ton (oh
yes, plus a f***ing huge admin fee to the council) to get rid of your old
garage/shed/potting shed whatever.

Ours won't accept it either, it has to be taken to a special asbestos point
in another (local) city. There's only a charge if they have to do the
transport. I think that's fair.

Oh the joy to have rubbish just collected - with or without the noise.

Vote 'em out.

Mary