Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Water stays in AC condensate pan (mildew odor)

Speedy Jim wrote in
. com:

wrote:
I live in an apartment and the AC they have installed has a
condensate pan below the coils that drip from condensation. The
drain for the pan is located on the side of the pan towards the
bottom but there is a slight lip allowing about 1/6" of water to
remain in the pan without draining. I have been told by the
maintenance people that this is normal and to be expected, however I
am beginning to smell mildew and the insulation on the inside of the
unit is filthy.

Aside from the water standing in the pan, the "filthy" insulation
may pose a larger threat to you. The dirty insulation makes a
great breeding ground for mold growth (as you can tell). When the
blower starts up, it flings all the mold spores out into the
living space. ugh

These folks are selling services, but they have some good info
and pics to go with:
http://www.moldinspector.com/air_conditioning_mold.htm

Jim

Wasn't it a hotel AC unit/tower/air handler that was discovered to be
the source of Legionnaires' disease back 30 yrs ago or so?