Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default how do I wire my shed for electricity?

JDL wrote in
:

I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running
overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could do
without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and
need decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box
out to the shed?

Local inspector will determine this but even if not required, while doing
"nice" things it may be nice.

Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have on
the outside of the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire out to
the shed, ....

Again, find out from local inspections how deep it has to be and if it
has to be in any conduit.

... I assume it'll be automatically grounded -- from the main
fusebox's ground? Thanks.

If wired to a breaker at the box and bare wire is wired to ground, yes.

If tapping into an outside outlet is permitted and you tie the bare to
the bare in the outlet box and the outlet box bare is actually tied to
the panel box ground, yea....if that's what you mean by automatic.

BTW, that outside outlet should already be a GFCI by code. I would think
the shed would then be automatically GFCI if tapped to the load side of
the GFCI. I do not know if the run length from the GFCI outlet to the
shed has an effect on the protection. Here is the insert that comes with
Leviton GFCI's:

http://www.leviton.com/acenti/instal...g_Testing_GFCI
..pdf

News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the