Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1988 Buick not cooling up to par - Best New R-12 Substitutes?

Yep, sounds like it's cycling on low pressure limit. 409A is
completely compatible with the old refrigerants, oils, hoses, etc.
Mixes right in. I've heard the same bout Icor Hot s hot (R414b) but
not tried it.

Oh, you need the 609 card to work on cars. Even a 608 Universal
doesn't give you permission to work on a car.

Most cars run about 2.25 to 3.75 pounds of refrigerant. By the time
you get some more juice, maybe the shop coulda done you up.

Converting to 134A seldom works as well.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've looked into the substitutes, and have concluded that it is easier
and better to just take it to a shop that sells R12 and have them top
it off. m local shop sells recovered R12 for $59 a pound, that is
outrageous, but it will still work the way it was supposed to. I have
converted a couple of cars to R134 and it is ok, but never as good as
R12 there are some design considerations built into the factory
equipped R134 cars that these lack, like bigger condensers and more
efficient condenser fans. Till you pay to bring one up to spec, $59 a
pound isn't sounding so bad.

udarrell wrote:
I own a 1988 Buick in mint condition. The A/C worked fantastic until
this season, when it appears to have lost some R-12 as the clutch is
short cycling the compressor.
The problem is that the R-12 will have to be recovered and then it

will
need leak testing with a 700-micron or below vacuum drawn and then
charged with a refrigerant replacement. The refrigerant hoses may

need
to be replaced for the new refrigerants. I do not do auto A/C! Your
opinions... .

http://www.cooltop.net/autofrost.html
What is the score on Autofrost/R-406A replacing R-12?
http://www.cooltop.net/autofrost.html

I need all the information anyone has concerning not having to

recover
the R-12 yet!
It could be just a clutch problem, I need to have it checked.
Your opinions... .

- udarrell - Darrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-s...ubcooling.html