Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843 autonut843 is offline

Default sealing bottom edge of stucco on a styrofoam foundation wall

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"autonut843" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I have a styrofoam foundation on my house and on one wall there is
a walkway outside at the same height as the basement floor. About 7
feet below the normal grade. The outer wall of the styrofoam
foundation has stucco on it and there is a gap of about 1/4-1/2 inch
between the bottom edge of the stucco and the outside walkway sidewalk
slab. I'm having a problem with water getting into my basement when it
rains. Any ideas on how to seal it up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Firs, you don't have a Styrofoam wall. You have either a wood, block or
concrete wall insulated with Styrofoam.

You can use caulk, roofing cement, blacktop patch, or any number of things
to direct the water away. Would be best to have a little bevel.

Thanks! Ok, so let's say I go with the roofing cement since I'm
familiar with that. Would it be ok to just go about 6 inches up the
stucco and about 6 inches out on the concrete sidewalk and fill
everything in between with the roofing cement? Or do I need to let
anything breathe in there? I've heard that stucco isn't really that
waterproof and that is why it has the tarpaper with the chicken wire
underneath it. The tarpaper keeps the water that seeps through the
stucco away from the plywood, framing, etc. that is underneath. Maybe
I heard wrong though, I don't know. Stucco isn't my thing. I just
don't know if I'd be making a bigger problem by sealing it up that way
or if there is a better way.

If the stucco is in good shape with no cracks, breaks, holes, etc. Is
there any reason I'd need to break the lower few inches out to get to
the tarpaper layer to put flashing or something else in there?

Thanks again.