Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend Scott Townsend is offline

Default 3" or 4" line to Septic Tank?

Thanks Guys!! 4" it is.

Now for the Secondary Question... (-;

We are adding a Granny unit to the main house and they want us to have the
main house tank drain into the Sump Tank for the New Granny unit, then pump
both up to the leach field.

I have another 60-70' run that Will be from an Existing line of unknown size
to a Sump Tank. Should that also be 4"? It only going to be the liquid from
the second chamber of the primary tank.

We have yet to find the line, so thats why I dont know the size yet. I just
wanted to make the hardware run today and get all the material.

Thanks again!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
We are in the Process of installing a new Septic Tank and wanted people's
opinions on if I should have a 3" line to the Tank or a 4" line to the
tank?

I've heard that the 3" is 1/4" per foot Drop and with the steeper sides
allows the solids to be carried away easier with less liquid. Clogs a bit
more then a 4"

I'm heard that the 4" is 1/8" per foot Drop. With the shallower sides it
would allow the liquid to run away from the solids much faster and would
hardly ever clog.

So it seems like there are plusses and minuses to both. I'm going about
80'
from the house to the tank and have the 1/4" drop that I would need for
4"

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks

Around here in northeast tennessee 4 inch is the minimum size you can
run once you leave the house......ther is probably a reason for that ~: