Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay tenplay is offline

Default Chopping firewood for first time

This is the very first time I am cutting rounds (cylindrical sections of
tree trunk) into firewood. A few weeks ago a tree trimming service cut
down three dying trees and left piles of rounds for me to use as
firewood. To make the task easier, I bought a Chopper1 ax, which is
supposed to split wood without having to use a wedge. I would
appreciate any tips on how best to do the chopping. How do you
stabilize the rounds so that they stay put while you are chopping? What
is the best way to dry and store the cut wood? How long before I can
use them? I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice to this
novice lumberjack.