Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wilcoj@hotmail.com is offline

Default Water stays in AC condensate pan (mildew odor)

I called the maintenance supervisor today and told him it was still
smelling. He is supposed to get back to me today on having a
contractor come out to do duct cleaning. My primary concern is getting
the insulation cleaned (or replaced) that surrounds the coils. It's
really nasty looking and smells bad.

I'm also insisting if they do it, that they use a vacuum that vents
externally from the apartment.

Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I live in an apartment and the AC they have installed has a condensate
pan below the coils that drip from condensation. The drain for the pan
is located on the side of the pan towards the bottom but there is a
slight lip allowing about 1/6" of water to remain in the pan without
draining. I have been told by the maintenance people that this is
normal and to be expected, however I am beginning to smell mildew and
the insulation on the inside of the unit is filthy.

Aside from the water standing in the pan, the "filthy" insulation
may pose a larger threat to you. The dirty insulation makes a
great breeding ground for mold growth (as you can tell). When the
blower starts up, it flings all the mold spores out into the
living space. ugh

These folks are selling services, but they have some good info
and pics to go with:
http://www.moldinspector.com/air_conditioning_mold.htm

Jim