Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default How to increase water pressure in an apartment

Marilyn & Bob wrote:
Just to point out to the people who know more about piping than I do (but
less about NYC), that like all buildings over six stories in New York, there
should be a water tower on the roof in the OP's building. New York City
does not pump its water and its naturual level (unpumped) is about 60 feet
above seal level. So all houses where water is supplied above that height
requires rooftop storage and a pump to bring the water to the storage tank.
The apartments are fed from the tank. While I could be wrong on this, I
would assume that that in most cases the cold supply should actually be fed
directly from the tank (not tank to basement and back up again) and the
upper floors should have, if anything, a less obstructed flow.

Would someone in the know about rooftop water tanks clue me in about how
much water pressure someone on the top floor of the building could
expect to get?

I'd presume tanks that large aren't going to be pressurized, so if the
water level in the tank is only say 25-50 feet above the faucets on the
top floor, the pressure there would only be about 12 to 25 psi if just
gravity was employed, hardly "great" pressure.

Do they have to use booster pumps to be able to get decent water
pressure on the top couple of floors?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia