Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs Steven Briggs is offline

Default Misted double glazing

In message , Mike Harrison
writes
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:25:27 +0100, SWW wrote:

Some of our double glazed windows are misted up between the panels. As a
short term solution (while we get the money together to replace them) is
there any way to demist them so we can see out ??? Someone suggested
drilling two holes in the corner of the panes and extracting the "wet
air" with a vacuum cleaner. Don't know how I would drill glass though
?

I recovered a laminated unit on which the seal had been breached by
ingrowing Ivy using an aquarium
pump, a lunchbox, and some silica gel - details here :
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/window.html

You don't need to drill the glass. Take the sealed unit out of the
frame, (generally easy unless security-taped in place) then drill though
the top corners of the sealing/spacer strip, and do the
blowing-dried-air-through trick. Seal afterwards with a glob of
neutral-cure silicone.
By taking the unit out, you may also be able to spot where the seal has
failed, generally a patch losses adhesion with the glass, and this is
often visible. Reseal with silicone.

--
steve