Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Timothy Murphy typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Given my disabilities, I don't think I can replace my hall lamp fitting
for less than about £100.

I didn't understand this, on two grounds.

(1) Why do you need to replace your lamp fitting?
I thought energy-saving bulbs normally use the same fitting.

It uses mini globe bulbs. These are shorter than any cfls.
Even David Hansen says I'd have to replace it if I wanted to use cfls.

(2) If in fact it is very difficult for you to replace your hall lamps,
I would have thought that was a very strong argument
for using energy-saving bulbs, which last much longer.

My partner changes the lightbulbs (which he does not enjoy).

Unfortunately the cfls will not fit...

That is the best argument for fitting CFLs which have a FAR longer
service life, even if it does mean a new fitting. The fact that you are
unlikely to have to change them very frequently.

Even I do not like changing the bulb at the head of my stairwell, with
about 3 meters t fall, that needs a ladder to reach it.