Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Terry Pinnell Terry Pinnell is offline

Default Improvising handset beep?

This is about communications between house and shed/workshop.
Important stuff, like being called in for dinner. For some years I've
had a one-way gadget that sounds a tone in the shed when either a
certain light switch in the house or the front doorbell is pressed.
But I'd like to be able to *acknowledge* that, by pressing a button
which would sound a tone in the house.

To avoid the hassle of wiring or more expensive solutions, I thought
I'd simply utilise the Paging function on the downstairs cordless
phone, a Samsung SP-R5100. But I'd forgotten how ancient it is.
Handsets are no longer available, even at DigiUK who sell some old
stuff. And none on ebay UK.

Under 'Intercom Between Handsets' in the user guide, not surprisingly
I read "This feature is available only when you have more than one
handset." But I wonder how hard it would be to rig up something
primitive? Any radio/wireless/mobile experts here able to offer any
suggestions please?

Or, by some fluke, anyone in UK reading this who has a spare handset
gathering dust...?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK