Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default The mulberry wood

Hi Kevin

I have turned many bowls etc from Mulberry, I do like the wood, while
it can be finicky to dry without splitting, it has a nice shimmer to it
and as it gets older the turned wood does get a very nice dark honey
golden color.

As for changing color, there is probably a difference between the
Mulberry species.

The Mulberry genus contains about 10 species about 4 are native
including Osage Orange and then there are introduced species, over here
in Ontario I have turned red, white and Osage, al these change color
slowly over time and are impossible to tell apart by looking at the
color only.

They turn nice when still green wood, the sap wood and inside bark is
stringy, all get hard when dried.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Kevin wrote:
Thanks to all who answered my questions about mulberry a couple weeks ago.
I've turned a few bowls and noticed that the yellow seems to disappear
fairly quickly. Is this the way of this wood? Not that I mind all that
much as free wood is good wood and some of the grain patterns have been
rather attractive.