Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Checking House Ground/Lightning protection

Ok. So now you've got me thinking a bit here. On my sister's house,
she's connected to city water and I've not looked to see where the pipe
enters from the street vs. where the electrical service/ground is. Would
the best bet be to tie the two together assuming she has a dedicated ground
near the meter? Obviously, if the two were close together, this wouldn't be
a good thing. On my house, I'm on a well and the pipe coming in is
approx. 15 feet or so from the rod driven into the ground near the meter.
My gas supply/meter is very near that water line. Would it do any good to
connect the dedicated ground to the water line that runs out to the well
especially being so close to the gas meter? I do plan to upgrade my
service and when I do I'll add the whole house surge protector and possibly
a lightning arrestor but it appears the best prevention is a good ground.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
cc