Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default air conditioner circuit breaker trips

A.Taylor wrote:
I live in Dallas and the weather has been very nice until today. Today I
decided to use the central A/C, the unit ran without incident for maybe 20
minutes than the circuit breaker tripped. I reset the breaker and 10 minutes
later again the circuit breaker tripped (The a/c was cold before the breaker
tripped and returned cold after I flipped the breaker). What is going on
here?

What's going on is that something's not working right.

Could be anything from a bad breaker to a loose connection at the
breaker to a plugged filter or at worst, a compressor near the end of
its life because there's shorted turns in its motor windings.

I believe I have a heat pump unit (you know the one that gets cold but not
as cold as someone with a regular unit). Thanks in advance.

If you don't know enough to tell the difference between a heat pump and
an A/C in your own place then I think you better stop right there and
fix the problem with your checkbook by calling in a pro.

He'll probably even tell you what kind of system you've got at no extra
cost.

HTH,

Jeff
--