Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dtlofton@hotmail.com is offline

Default need traction on a deck ramp

RayV wrote:
wrote:
I have a recently constructed deck with a ramp. I used a clear sealer
on the entire deck, and the ramp is now very slippery. From the posts
I've read, it seems I have two options: (1) broadcast some sand on wet
sealer, let it dry, and then put on another coat of sealer, or (2)
apply non-slip adhesive strips. With the sand approach, I'm wondering
how it will hold up, how will it look, and how well will it work - and
when it is time to re-seal, I assume I'll need to put down more sand -
will this sand-on-sand accumulation cause problems? With the adhesive
strip solution, I'm concerned about them not adhering. I've seen many
discussions concerning solutions for painted decks, but none for decks
sealed with a clear sealer. Does anyone out there have a solution
which worked for them? Thanks.

-DT

You could put some grooves or flutes across the ramp with a router and
re-seal it. They wouldn't need to be that deep to improve traction.

That's an interesting idea. Have you had success with this, or do you
know anyone who has? I'm looking for a solution that's been tried and
has been successful.

-DT