Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Drain Problem

Deanna wrote:
[snip]
Are there any garbage disposals out on the market that address this
problem? I can't be the only one out there remodelling a kitchen
facing this problem?

[snip]
Oh, and I am trying to sell my house. The kitchen remodel was supposed
to help with the sale, but now I am selling a house without a garbage
disposal.

What is there to complain about? You have rid yourself of the cursed
garbage disposal! Tell prospective buyers that the amount of money they
will save in calling out the plumber for drain problems will more than
offset the additional work they would have to do with food waste.

Seriously, my plumber ranted about our having a garbage disposal, what
a problem they cause in the sewer pipes. Turns out he's right: most
garbage disposals don't properly grind food products and so they sit in
the low spots in sewer pipes (like the belly in my main drain 7 feet
below the back yard) and eventually harden...especially egg shells. God
did I ever hate egg shells.

We used to have the plumber auger the drain once a year to alleviate
problems. Then we got a composter, stopped using the disposal, and not
only have we not have to have the plumber clean our drain in two years,
we now have rich compost for the garden and flower beds.