Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Tool Advice for Beginner

Here are my possible options I thought of:
1. Use a hand saw to make the hole and use my dremel router to make
the lip (would take 8 passes per side)
2. Buy some "single use tools" (cheap tools from somewhere like harbor
freight) to do this job. Maybe an edge router and a jigsaw. I would
also have to buy a 1" straight bit from somewhere else.
3. Buy a RotoZip and attachments.
4. Buy some low-mid level tools (like Ryobi). Maybe I don't need a
plunge router.

I would like to hear from some experienced people. Maybe you have
other ways to accomplish this or know of some decent quality tools that
are inexpensive.

Nick

Since this is a one time thing - option one still looks good. Wasting
limited $$ on low quality tools is not a smart option. If you know the
Dremel works then go for it. 8 passes per side won't take that much time.

I'd guestimate spending about $500 for a good jigsaw and plunge router or
$0.00 for a little elbow grease.
You do the math.

Of course, if you just want justification for a new tool.................
-

Vic