Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] gaineyz@gmail.com is offline

Default Infeed/outfeed table alignment on my old Craftsman Joiner.

Thanks for all the advice! I may just look for something a little
newer and turn this into the anvil I always wanted but never had.

John
LRod wrote:
On 4 Jul 2006 10:28:43 -0700, wrote:

Jointers with "coplaner" infeed/outfeed tables don't perform very well
at all. The best performance (for which the machine was designed) is
obtained when the infeed table lies in a plane which is parallel to and
below the plane of the outfeed table. "Parallel" and "coplaner" are
two completely different conditions.

Actually, in the case of a jointer, coplanar is a specialized subset
of parallel. In the case of my old Craftsman (and I presume the kind
the OP is talking about), coplanar is where the adjustments begin.
Once that special condition is achieved, moving the infeed table up
and produces a parallel condition at every height, which is the
desired end result.

Because the Craftsman jointer's outfeed table is an integral part of
the whole machine base, it's easiest to begin the adjustment for
parallel with the coplanar condition. It could certainly be done by
use of a spacer block, but what would be the point when it's
theoretically so much easier with the two tables in the same plane?

In my other post I detailed why it wasn't worth it to even try on this
jointer in the first place.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.