Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Brophy Joe Brophy is offline

Default Wear on Stair Treads

On 4 Jul 2006 20:49:16 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Jerome Ranch wrote:
Hi

Our dog kennel is in the lower level of our walkout ranch.
The stair treads and risers are pine. The risers are fine,but the
pine treads, being soft, wear out quickly due to the dogs (their nails
wear the treads out). Oak doesn't work, since it is an open grained
wood, it is subject to wear like that of the pine. Can you make a
suggestion as to what material I can use in place of the treads (or ON
the treads) so they'll wear better (and look nicer)?

How about using some non-slip self-stick on the treads? Or, if you
want to go with industrial strength,
http://www.safeguard-technology.com/...stairtread.htm

A durable, good looking set of stairs can be made from
stained concrete. Most color stains are easy to use but
like anything you may not have tried to do yet, success
depends on careful research and planning. If you wanted to
make it even more attractive you could include some simple
"stamp" patterns that would look like the stone you
suggested. good luck on whatever you end up trying, Joe.