Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:22:49 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

Try a TRV on the radiator in the office/bedroom..

Very far from perfect.

And a basic read up on 'conduction' 'convection' and all teh other ways
that heat spreads around till it meets an 'insulator'

No need to. I have designed, installed and maintained all sorts of
heating systems in all sorts of buildings.

More importantly I have written computer software to model such
things. If anyone thinks they understand something trying to model
it on a computer will soon indicate whether they really do
understand it. One bit of software worked out the angle of the sun
to the windows, so that the amount of sunlight falling on the floor
could be followed across the floor and thus the heat gain worked
out. Yes, the software did allow for the heat emitted by humans and
gadgets.

Yes, but they are not as high in many cases as the grid infrastructure
per capita needed to bring electricity to your door, also the house
itself is a HUGE per capita cost...which you neglect - wheras the
housing for a power station is a direct cost, nit one buried somewhere
else in the opportunity cost calculations.

Gas arrives at houses without infrastructure? Fascinating.

In all those large boiler houses I once looked after the gas just
appeared by magic, those booster stations and large pipes were just
a figment of my imagination? Fascinating.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh