Posted to alt.home.repair
ET1742 ET1742 is offline

Default Electrician hourly rates

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The houses I've worked on, we usually mount the disconnect box so that
the wire goes into the house by way of a hole in the back of the
disconnect. We then use a grey "whip" from the disconnect to the unit.

The guy (kid) did say that instead of having the new wire exposed on the
outside of the house he is going to do what you said -- run it through the
wall from the back of the disconnect box instead of the way it is now. He
also said that the current code does not allow the wire to go through the
wall where the other AC lines go through the wall, so he will bring it in
separately from the back of the disconnect box.

In any case, the wire that is exposed to sunlight should be grey.
Which is UV resistant. Might only have to replace the wire from the
disconnect to the unit, if the wire which is indoors is OK. Who said
you had to replace all 30 feet of wire?

You may be right about that too. I'm going to go look at it now, but I
think since part of the wire goes into the disconnect and part comes out and
goes to the condenser unit, the part from inside the house to the disconnect
box was also damaged. But I'll check on that.