Posted to uk.d-i-y
JustMe JustMe is offline

Default Shower setup

JustMe wrote:
Hi,

I'm about to check out tiles for the bathroom, so want to sort the

shower &
plumbing first.

Currently I have an electric shower which takes a cold feed and heats as

the
water passes through. It's a bit on the slow and drizzly side, so I want

know what my options are for POWER.

I have a combi boiler which drives most of my hot water needs and

there's no
header tank currently installed anywhere.

AIUI I can run a mixer tap+shower direct from hot and cold water

supplies
which, given the pressure from the tap at the moment, should be an
improvement on the electric. But if I want real power, then a pump is
required. This is where I get confused:

Is that correxct? as long as you have

(a) adequate mains pressure
(b) large enough pipework

You will get a decenbt shower flow,.

If you have

(c) a large enough combi, it will even be warmish..;-)

From what I've read, a pump cannot have hot water fed directly from a

combi
boiler. It seems I have two options:

1) Header tank above the bathroom, fed in to pump and on to shower -

seems
to be the superior solution, but I don't quite understand how this

works. Is
there an immersion in the header tank or does the tank fill up with hot
water from the combi which then provides a reservoir for the pump and
shower? In which case, where does a mix of cold water come in for
temperature control? Or does the header tank store cold water which is
heated somewhere further down the line?

2) Combined electric shower/pump - cold water feed, wall mount unit

combines
heater and pump - simpler but not as powerful/hard/fast?

Do I have any other options?

Yes. Scrap the combi and put in a mains pressure DHW system. If mains
pressure is good enough, that will do what you want.

I looked this up on Google. I'm not happy replacing my combi and spending
cash (plus getting builders installing bulky stuff and new pipes) to replace
what otherwise works fine for me - which is what this appears to entail.
It's *just* my shower that I'm looking to supercharge.

OR shove a cold water pump in the incoming mains to any system that
DOESN't use a header, to improve flow rates

I don't need to improve flow rate for running cold taps, hot taps at sink
etc, as these are quite good. I just want a high-quality power shower
solution.

Cheers.

Many thanks!