Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus marvelus is offline

Default Aircon Question (Slightly O/T)

On 5 Jul 2006 02:04:04 -0700, "Shokka" wrote:

marvelus wrote:
On 30 Jun 2006 03:34:52 -0700, "Shokka" wrote:

I've got a RAC-16sw. As Mike Harrison says its an evaporative cooler
with the steam pumped out throuhg the exhaust. I think they offer a
more powerfull cool for the size of unit but are a pain to keep topped
up.

Yup. Took it apart at the weekend to have a look! It's not an
evaporative cooler in the common sense, in that the evaporation is used
to cool the 'hot' air conditioner circuit rather than cool the room
directly.

Biiig heating coil that makes the water evaporate which is then pumped
up the exhaust hose, taking heat with it.

Because the 'steam' is a more efficient carrier of heat it means less
air is pumped up the exhaust hose and thus less (Hot) air is drawn into
the room being cooled, to replace it.

(The instructions for the unit includes directions for descaling the
coils which it says should be done regularly.)

You need to find a chemist that will sell you citric acid and sodium
bicarb without thinking your a druggy I havnt done mine for a few
years and it was performing OK last night. But I live in a soft water
area.

Yes, it's a pain to keep refilling but it works *much* better than
other single hose air conditioners. I'm surprised that other
manufacturers don't use the same method.

When I got mine 18 years ago it was the *only* portable AC you could
get in this country, now you cant get this type. As another poster
said its probably a legonella death trap

Thanx to all who replied,

shokk