Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Drilling holes into steel pole (for basketball net)

Drill 1/4" hole first. Then 1/2". Use plenty of oil. I would get newer
nitrided drill bits (gold colored).
"mrsgator88" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

My contractor put in a steel pole for a basketball net, its cemented in
the ground. However, its turned to the side, so when I mount the
backboard, it will not face the driveway. The backboard mounts to the
pole with bolts that go through the pole.

This was a freebie and I have more pressing problems with my GC, so I'm
thinking to just drill new holes in the pole. I forgot to measure the
holes, but I think they're about 1/2" diam. So here are my questions:

- Do I need a high RPM drill? How much RPM is needed?
- Is there a special bit that will do this, or should I plan on using
several bits from pilot hole up to full size?
- Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance,