Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Foxwood Foxwood is offline

Default Elm for food use

Stephen Selby wrote:

Can anyone advise me whether elm is suitable for food use, provided I use a
suitable finish?
Thanks,

Steve

I have used English Elm, quite rare now, and its variation in grain
makes it excellent for turning and for culinary use , you may need to
use several layers of sanding sealer as its an open grain wood but it
finishes very well if you use "turners stick" carnuaba wax and high
speed friction buff, this is ideal for the outer surface, the food
contact areas would be best finished with Lemon Oil ,several coats as
this imparts a pleasant odour and also has natural antibacterial
properties.

Best wishes Foxwood