Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrician hourly rates

"ET1742" wrote in message

For example, if an electrical contracting company said our charge is $120
for the first hour, then $80 for each hour after that, plus the cost of
materials, I would be fine with that.

Instead, he insisted on preparing a whole work order which I agreed to,
and then he will come back tomorrow and do the work. The cost is $395
based on two hours of work at $175/hour (his time estimate), plus
materials.

Yes, I think you got hosed on this. Rates will vary but the 120/80 you
suggest is not out of line. The problem is finding a good electrician. The
one we use at work charges $65/hr. He does not advertise at all (nor does
he need to) and has an excellent reputation. You have to find someone like
that by word of mouth, not from a half page ad in the Yellow Pages.

FWIW, John would have come to your house ready to work and probably had the
wire in his truck. Half hour later it would be done and you'd both be $
ahead.