Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Toe Kick Drawer Question

Mark Witczak wrote:

I'm trying to design a bathroom linen closet and would like to include a
variation on the toe kick drawer idea. I would like to use the drawer to
hide the bathroom scale. This would save a lot of floor space in a tiny
room.

The concerns I have are over support and stability. Can I get slides
that will support at least 300 lbs? Secondly, when the drawer is fully
extended I would like to have it "lock" in place so someone can stand on
the scale without it slipping back into the cabinet. It would be nice if
this "locking" mechanism could be unlocked without having to bend over.

Support at least 300 pounds? Most scales only go up to 280 or 300
pounds, but if you're in that territory I'd seriously reconsider the
drawer slides idea. You need some fold down support, maybe
incorporated into the drawer front, or have the scale fold down, with
supporting fold out feet. It could be mounted on the closet door or
inside the cabinet at the bottom.