Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C window unit: compressor or not?

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 03:30:49 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

In my experience with window units, the condensor is usually far worse
than the evaporator.

Also, it occurs to me: Isn't the missing filter placed to filter the
air just before it comes out? That is, it doesn't have anything to do
with keeping the crud from collecting on the fins??

I don't remember for sure.

The filter goes on the intake portion, just ahead of the fins on the coil.
If you have to cut a replacement foam filter, you can even lay it right on
the fins.