Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default preventing short circuits in junction box

According to nhurst :

The book I own and a few others who have done electrical work in the
past say that you should always wrap your recepticals and switches in
tape, just in case, especially in smaller boxes, because of all the
jimmying you need to do to get everything to fit.

In contrast, the one I have says that doing it is unnecessary,
and can lead to inspectors being overly suspicious of your work.

I don't like putting additional flammable materials inside the
box either.

It has some utility if you're dealing with trying to have live
outlets when drywallers are doing mudding, but, the only time
I've felt the need is with a damaged receptacle that was protruding
from a box for the short time necessary before I could replace it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est