Posted to alt.home.repair
nhurst nhurst is offline

Default preventing short circuits in junction box

RayV wrote:
John wrote:
Many receptacles or switches have side screws that slightly protrude
outwards, especially after a wire has been screwed on. If you put two such
devices in a junction box, one device's hot could potentially touches the
adjacent one's neutral, touches a bare ground wire, or touches the metal
junction box.

What is the proper way to prevent this from happening?

Don't think it is proper but I have seen fixtures with electrical tape
wrapped around them that would prevent a short. I agree with Tony the
chance of a short is remote if everything is put together correctly.

The book I own and a few others who have done electrical work in the
past say that you should always wrap your recepticals and switches in
tape, just in case, especially in smaller boxes, because of all the
jimmying you need to do to get everything to fit.