Posted to alt.home.repair
John Faber John  Faber is offline

Default help on asbestos popcorn

Frank Warner wrote:
In article . com,
" wrote:

The accoustic ceiling in my home was tested positive for asbestos.
Specifically 2 - 3% asbestos (type: Chrysotile). I have called several
contractors to give me a bid for cleaning it up but the question I have
is (and this may sound like a stupid question) but is this amount
hazardous? I posted here to get an objective opinion that wasn't
influenced by some contractor wanting to make a sale and making me pay
for something that ultimately isn't necessary.

Thanks.

I have to chime in with the others who say do it yourself and save a
bundle. The stuff comes off mucho easy and the "hazard" is about as
great as walking down a beach on a windy day.

The only, repeat ONLY cases of asbestosis are found in people who spend
8 hours a day, five days a week, for twenty years, working with raw
friable asbestos without adequate lung protection.

I agree that asbestosis and mesothelioma are a rare outcome of
prolonged exposure, one must keep up to date on the latest Abestos
information out there. I googled and found http://www.asbestos-now.com
which seems to have a decent collection of information.

Just my 2c

J-