Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Dead PC - advice please !

HI All
Apologies in advance for any funnies with the format of this posting, my
copy of 'agent' is on my main PC, which is 'a bit broken' g

Main PC is an I-friend (from CPC).
It's been on&off reliable over the past 2 years - spec is Celeron
1.7ghz, micro-atx, motherboard spec VIA P4M266A + 8235.
On Saturday night the PC was left on standby - on Sunday AM the PC was
sat with both front panel lights 'on' (HDD & ?power?) but completely
unresponsive to power switches, keyboards, mice etc...

Removing power & reapplying didn't result in any further activity, no
disks spinning up, no beeps, no POST.

It appears that i-friend have disappeared - sent them a couple of emails
but no response so far....

Had a look inside (my PC-assembling expertise ended at the '486 stage!)
- found that one of the PSU fans was jammed stationary - so located a
new PSU, ordered & fitted it, and same 'dead' symptoms still apply.....

So - suggestions as to a 'next step', please ?....

Can't seem to find a replacement Celeron 1.7ghz anywhere - can anybody
recommend a good, cheapish, motherboard / cpu bundle. Application is
just email, web, bit of paintshop pro, web authoring - nothing all that
fancy..... g

Alternatively - and looking at the cost-effectiveness of the whole thing
- any suggestions for a complete replacement system unit.....?

Many thanks in advance

Adrian
Suffolk UK