Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ejb@ts-aligner.com is offline

Default wont start

Hi McGarren,

Look on the motor housing for a red "motor overload" button. If it's
out, push it in and try the saw again. If it's in (or pushing it in
doesn't help) then the motor is blown. You can check with Sears for a
replacement (they might just surprise you). Or, you can call around to
local motor shops to see how much a rewind would cost. If you have an
ohm meter you can check the windings yourself. If you don't know what
I'm talking about then you should avoid any and all attempts at self
repair.

The other option is to retrofit the saw to use a motor with a standard
frame. I did this on a Sears RAS when I repurposed it as a drum sander
(Performax). This is definitely a time intensive, costly task which
will require some engineering knowledge. Not for the weekend warrior
on his first adventure.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

wrote:
I inherited a Sears Radial arm saw from my father who had passed away.
It looks like a great saw the only problem is that it wont start. I
have checked the plugs and power is going to the saw even to the
switch. But from that point nothing happens no sound, no motion,
nothing. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to fix it?
Or what I can do to test it myself and fix it. Thanks

McGarren