Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks Sparks is offline

Default Help! Topics for articles.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

As part of my Medway Handyman strategy to take over the world, I've been
writing a DIY column in a local monthly free magazine ( I also advertise
with them). So far I've done; Unblocking a sink, toilets that overflow or
won't flush, bleeding radiators and wall plugs & screws.

It's been a great success; the magazine gets a free 'public interest'
article, the public get some free advice - and I get some free publicity.

Trouble is, I'm now running out of ideas! The articles need to be short,
not too technical and about very simple tasks. I also don't want to do my
self out of work :-)

Any ideas for subjects?

disconnecting and reconnecting a dishwasher or washing machine
(As people normally don't realise their new machine with free fitting, won't
be fitted for free unless the old one is disconnected until after the thing
is delivered, and the delivery people refuse to do it as you haven't
complied with the terms and conditions!)

Maybe showing people the difference between different types of drill bit (My
mum attempted to drill through a cupboard door with a masonry drill bit
(with the drill on hammer mode)
The results were actually OK as far as the hole went (Surprisingly); (Must
have taken ages though!) but somehow the drill bit was at 90 degrees to the
drill when she was finished!

Changing a plugtop or fuse in a plugtop

Installing a telephone socket (Maybe even suggesting using a filtered
faceplate if ADSL is present)

You could do changing light switches & fittings, sockets, etc. You would
need to make bloody sure you make all the safety suggestions here!

Adding a new ariel socket (Depending on column space, you could go into
proper distribution systems that feed Sky etc. around the house.

Putting up a (level) shelf

Filling a small hole in a wall

Laying Laminate flooring

Putting up curtains/blinds in different types of window (Normal & Bay etc..)

Replacing a consumer unit :-)

I am sure people here would be happy to read through your future submissions
before they are submitted, so you don't make yourself look an arse by
forgetting something!