Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:21:39 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

Do tell us about this perfect heating system, installed in a perfect
house.

Its called a 'thermostat'

I'm sure the heating industry will beat a path to your door if you
have developed the perfect thermostat. The problems with the various
schemes of control are well known and, although things are
improving, perfection is still a long way away.

How a perfect thermostat in say the hall reacts to heat emitted in a
bedroom/office I'm not sure.

The thermostat is only one part of the heating system and no part of
the house in this respect.

And since the conversion efficiency of the power station and
transmission is pretty similar to the central heating boiler,

That will be why all houses are heated by electricity then.

No, because the electricity costs more..but that all about capital costs
of power stations and the costs of running it in terms of labour, not
teh costs of the actual fuel.

There are no capital and running costs of domestic boilers and their
fuel supplies?

Electric heating is always going to be cheaper in initial
and installation cost, if its running costs were low enough it would
be very popular.

Costs are not just energy costs.

That is why I was careful to point out the areas where electric
heating has cost advantages.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh