Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan HeatMan is offline

Default possible A/C problem

"Jean" wrote in message
HeatMan wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message

Last night my a/c (heat pump type) stopped working. This morning I went
outside to the heat pump unit and pressed the "high pressure control
manual reset" button, then I turned the unit on. It has worked fine ever
since. However, the fact that I needed to hit the reset button makes me
think that there is a problem with the system. What sorts of things
would cause one to have to use the reset button?

Most circumstances means either a clogged condenser coil or a faulty

OFM.
Since it's worked fine ever since, it's probably a clogged coil.

I had to get the service people out yesterday (Sunday) to fix the unit
-I'm in Florida, and the temps and humidity are way too high to endure
without the a/c.

The problem was a bad blower motor. Apparently, if the motor isn't
working, the pressure builds up in the lines and trips the "high
pressure control" thingee.

'OFM' means outdoor fan motor.

I was correct.
Jean