Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default patch screw hole in oak floor

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 21:29:05 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried to secure a loose floor board using the system where you
insert
a screw and snap it off. Well, it didn't work and I now have a 5/32"
hole in the floor.

I'd use a wood plug - my local HD actually has a couple species of wood
in 3/8" plugs, a woodworking store would have more, or you could buy a
plug cutter to make your own plugs. You might need to drill out the
hole up to 1/4" to make a standard plug fit. Then you'd need a
flush-cut saw to even it off. Note most plugs/dowels are end grain, so
the stain and wood pattern wouldn't match well, but some woodworking
suppliers (i.e. Rockler, Woodcraft) have face grain plugs that would
probably match your floor better, but these probably wouldn't be
available sizes smaller than 3/8".
Even if you don't match the wood exactly (test with a few stain/finish
combinations before the real version), it seems like a real wood plug
would stand out less than putty or wax.

I think that a 1/8" diam spot of filler would not be that visible. An
end grain plug that is 3/8" in would stand out a lot more. A side
grain plug fit well to the grain could blend in pretty well.

But all of these solutions require that I essentially refinish the
floor in a region around the damage. And that means there will be a
two inch spot where the finish doesn't match (because I'm just not that
good and don't have any artist friends to involve in the project) and
that two inch blotch will be a lot more visible than a 1/8" hole of
some kind of filler.

What would be wrong with a 1/8 inch plug? A small dowel tapered with a knife
or sander and driven into the hole with some glue will make a permanent
nearly invisible repair.
Don Young

And you can buy those plugs in varying sizes and colors. Just keep
looking.