Posted to alt.home.repair
CompoundMiter CompoundMiter is offline

Default Crown molding cut, 70* Cut how?

Rich

First of all you are using the old saying "Divide the corner angle by 2".
This is correct if your saw has what is called a face angle miter scale,
90 deg in the front +/- 45 deg. If your saw has this type of scale then
you would set your miter on 70 degrees and prop the crown upside down with
the bottom of the crown held in full contact (very important) with the
fence to make the cut.

However if your saw has a standard miter scale (most common) with 0 degrees
in the front +/- 45 degrees then you would set your saw on 90 - 70 = 20
degrees.

If you wish to cut your crown laying flat and face up then the saw setting
for 140 degree corner and 45 degree spring angle is Miter = 14.4, Blade
tilt = 14.0 degrees.

For complete information on how to make perfect cuts each and everytime,
vist us on line at www.compoundmiter.com.

I have a cut to make that I just can't figure out how to make.
It's a 140 degree inside left inside right. So the miter saw has to be

set
to 70 degrees. How do I cut this with a miter saw that only handles 50
degrees at most. The is a 6" 45* spring angle. I have no problem with
that is 50* or less but just can't figure out how to make this cut!

Thanks in advance,
Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Do-It-Yourself Crown Molding & Trim: Install It Like A PRO!

Sincerely yours
Wayne Drake, President
CompoundMiter, Inc.