Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default AC Energy Saver mode

On 4 Jul 2006 13:04:42 -0700, "Only1Miller"
wrote:

I stopped using a tent when I went camping, unless it was raining or
there was a need for privacy. A thin piece of ripstop nylon's not
going to stop a raccoon or a bear. (Just don't take uneaten food into
the tent.) But I think I was 42 before I learned to sleep outside, on
top of the sleeping bag or a blanket, without any clothes. A group I
belonged to had chosen a park in Southern NJ to go camping. As a
group we were able to reserve our own island, and everyone else seems
to like to sleep near each other. When everyone had chosen a place
and most people were asleep, I took a walk to a place either I had
found earlier or there was enough moonlight, about 300 feet from the
others and because it was humid finally had enough incentive to sleep
naked with no covers for the whole night. I know no one saw me or I
wouldn't have gotten a lot of teasing the next day.

I get the sleeping inside in the buff... but outside? Doing that

Mostly I wanted to see if I could do it, and now that I have, I don't
have any real desire to do it again. I don't know if I have ever had
such a private place, also.

OTOH, it was hot all night and very humid and I sweated some even
naked, even at night. Maybe it was so humid because it was an island
surrounded by water, except for a little foot bridge. And it was
south Jersey in the summer, maybe 20 miles from the southern edge of
Jersey at the Delaware Bay, I guess it is. If I were in a place like
that again, with privacy, I might do the same thing again, because I
really hate being hot or sweating in my sleep.

Although some times, the notion that I'm an animal with animal urges
bothers me, at other times I like to be as much like an animal as
possible. But consistency in this matter is low on my list of
priorities. Animals don't wear pajamas, so I don't know why I should.

BTW, when I sleep without a tent, it makes it very likely I'll wake up
at dawn, so I was pretty sure I'd be up and dressed before the others
were up. Despite that, I don't think I was but this was not the most
exciting group of campers. They go up and had breakfast. They didn't
go look for birdlife at dawn. So no one saw me.

around here would cost you plenty in blood taken from hungry mosquitoes.

On that, I am a very lucky guy. I used to get bit a lot by
mosquitoes. From the time I was little. I had bumps all over, and
sometimes had bumps on top of bumps. But as close as I can tell,
after I turned 21 I never was bothered by a mosquito again. I thought
it might reverse, but I'm 59 now. Either they don't bite me, or they
do and it doesn't swell up or itch. It's inconceivable IMO that I'm
not around mosquitoes up to a dozen times a year or more. I've been
with other people who are complaining about being bitten.