Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodhead Woodhead is offline

Default Purchasing a 15" Planer: Overhead mounted or under mounted motor?

I've had the Jet JWP-160s about 5 months and have had no problems. I was
suspicious of the original blade quality since they seemed to dull quickly.
It must have been dirty lumber. The 2nd set of blades are still in it and
they have been through quite a bit of cherry, oak, and walnut. Blade
changing was pretty easy in spite of the motor partially blocking overhead
access. The extra inch (16) is great on a nice piece of cherry. Assembley
was straight forward, but it is a heavy sucker! The outboard rollers were a
pain to adjust. Takes 2 men to put it on the base. I had to get an 1100 CFM
dust sucker to keep up with the chip volume. That was an unexpected
expense, but I'm glad I got it. I highly recommend the JWP-160S.

Jim in the Bluegrass
wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 15" or 16" planer. I see that delta has the
DC-380 15" planer and Jet has the JWP-16OS: 16" planer. Both of these
planers have overhead motors so the feed table is stationary. It seems
that
both manufactures are no longer offering under mounted systems in the 15"
range (at least on their web sites). I looked at the 20" models and they
all have under mounted motors where the feed table moves.

Here are a couple of questions :

- I had seen a couple of posts related to the JWP-16OS. Does anyone have
any more feedback on this planer (This is the one I am leaning toward;
should I be looking at something else)?
- Does anyone know why these two companies discontinued under mounted
motors
in this size range of planer?
- Is the overhead mounted motor system a bad choice?
- Does anyone know of any recent reviews on this size of planer (I have
been
searching on the Internet but have found nothing so far)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike