Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Well Pump Pressure Release Valve Dripping

On "This Old House" on pbs, they recently showed how to fix a leaking
pressure relief valve.

Basically, your problem is caused because you have a one way valve
coming into your water system and the valve drips when the pressure
exceeds the set limit. And it does this every time someone uses your
hot water heater. The heat build up the pressure and triggers the
valve relief.

The solution they used was to add a small 4 gallon bladder filled
tank to absorb the expanding water so pressure wouldn't build.

Worked like a charm.

On 3 Jul 2006 06:20:32 -0700, "trashmanvic" wrote:

Eric in North TX wrote:
Hi Eric
The valve I am working with is not for a water heater as someone
mentioned above but for a well tank. The valve is quite smaller than a
hot water tank valve and very different. It basically is just a brass
fitting with spring inside(visible) and the opening is like a garden
hose fitting that is where the drip comes from. Dont think there is an
adjustment on this one. THere is s small piece size of dime that is
threaded in but doesnt look like it should be messed with. I can see
the explosion now hahaha
Should have seen me when I took it off. Turned off the 220v shut the
water off. Only thing is didnt think about the pressure tank needless
to say I took quite the shower and had quite a mess to clean

I know exactly what you have, I replaced mine earlier this year. The
cap on top is sealed off from the actual water, and there is a large
screw inside which tensions the spring. I tried screwing down my old
one but the seals were too far gone for the added tension to stop the
drip. My well guy quoted me ~ $50 for a new one, but I found one on
ebay for ~ $15. The new one held fine so I haven't adjusted it. I could
have rebuilt the old one if I really applied myself, but for that price
it wasn't really worth it.

I Did replace mine also but still the drip. Getting the best of me lol.
Person who posted pic from ebay is what I am working with. Really not
that expensive picked one up at local hardware store for $10.
Guess I will see what i can do today with it . Afraid to overtighten
then I have more problems. Wll let u guys know how it goes.
Take care
Victor